Thermaflow thermal fill
When designing duct-bank systems it is important to anticipate risks and implement preventive solutions to avoid potential outage problems. Lafarge's Thermaflow is a proprietary concrete mix that offers a range of strengths and levels of thermal resistivity for optimizing the design of duct-bank systems for predictable thermal performance and potential project cost savings.
The challenge: Underground transmission lins require a stable thermal environment. Excessive heat can cause:
- derating of cable ampacity and hot spots
- reduction in cable lifespan
- premature cable failure to conduit
Backfill material selection needs to consider:
- thermal stability;
- low (and accurate) thermal resistivity;
- self consolidation;
- precise spread, viscosity and flowability; and
- local availability.